CHINA: 4 UIGHUR MEN SENTENCED TO DEATH OVER ATTACKS
September 13, 2011: four ethnic minority men were sentenced to death for the latest spate of violent attacks in China's Central Asian borderlands.
The sentences are the first tied to the July violence that left dozens dead in the far western region of Xinjiang. The four were sentenced to death by courts in Hotan and Kashgar, the cities where the attacks occurred, the China Daily newspaper said.
China says the incidents were organized terror attacks, but an overseas Uighur rights group says they were anti-government riots carried out by angry citizens.
The Chinese-language Xinjiang Legal Daily said in a report on the Tianshan.net news portal that the six men sentenced Tuesday had been charged with leading and organizing a terror group, manufacturing illegal explosives, intentional homicide, arson and "other crimes." (Sources: Associated Press, 15/09/2011)